A Glance at Unirondack’s History

These documents span over 50 years of Unirondack’s history. You’ll find letters, memos, legal documents, newsletters, maps and brochures from Unirondack’s past and written by some of Unirondack’s founders and luminaries such as Howard Gilman, Fred Leining, Dick Woodman, Fred Chadwick, Jay Carncross, Mae Barber and Harold Niles. A special thanks to Devin Hollands for collecting, organizing and scanning these documents.
Click here to read Devin’s notes about the documents.

Historical Photos

Click here to see Unirondack photos from the 1950s-1980s.

Historical Documents

Click on the links below to view Unirondack historical documents.

1940’s

1946 — Gilman Letter – Looking To Rent A Site
1946 — Letter from NYS Convention of Universalists
1947 — Inspecting A Different Camp

1950’s

1950s — Old Lodge Photos from the early 1950s p1, p2, p3, p4, p5
1950s — Old Camp Buildings from the early 1950s p1, p2
1950 — Letter to Fred Leining – Option On Property
1950 — Drawing Of Howard (Howie) Gilman
1951 — Chadwick Letter – Closing Camp Year #1
1951 — Application For Property Tax Exemption Approval
1951 — Article On Camp Purchase With Nice Details
1951 — Chadwick Letter – Deal Not Closed But Items On Order, p1, p2, p3
1951 — Closing The Deal
1951 — Contribution Thank You
1951 — Contributions To Pay For Camp
1951 — Deed Restriction, p1, p2
1951 — Gilman Letter – Buying Equipment To Open
1951 — Gilman Letter – First Year Done
1951 — Gilman Letter – Pre-Camp
1951 — How Much To Name A Building
1951 — Gilman Letter – How To Find Cook, p1 , p2
1951 — How To Raise Money
1951 — Items Needed And Contributions
1951 — Junior High Camp Paper – The Beaver Bugle
1951 — Junior High Institute Attendees
1951 — Making Parking Lot And Athletic Field
1951 — Original Flyer, p1, p2
1951 — Pre-Camp
1951 — Preclosing Purchases
1951 — Pre-Purchase Camp Inspection, p1, p2, p3
1951 — Letter from Howard Gilman re: Opening Camp Floral Park Roof
1951 — Purchase Details 1 – Agreement
1951 — Purchase Details 2 – Letter
1951 — Purchase Details 3 – Memorandum
1951 — Universalist Dedication To Hallowed Ground
1951 — What Equipment Is Needed
1951 — Chadwick Report – Pre-Camp
1951 — Leining Raising Money
1951 — Purchase Agreement
1951 — Gilman Letter – Refrigerator Purchase
1952 — Donation
1952 — Institute Brochure
1952 — Institute Flier
1952 — Large Donation
1952 — Letter Acknowledging A Donation From Floral Park Church
1952 — Letter From Camp
1952 — Money Floral Park
1952 — Sweet Donation Pledge from Mae Barber To Name Building
1952 — Universalist Beaver Paper
1953 — Trying For Donation
1954 — Camp Paper
1954 — Name A Room
1955 — Camp Paper – Anne Hickok
1955 — Camp Poll – Jon Guillaume, Anne Hickok
1955 — Dick Gilbert, Howard Gilman Baseball
1955 — Mae Barber Donating To Sweet In Memory Of Her Husband
1955 — LRY Interviews – Gilbert, Gilman, Hickok
1955 — Formation of Unirondack Board – Dick Woodman Memo p1, p2, p3
1956 — “World Citizenship” Camp Newspaper
1956 — Article About Woman’s Institute at Unirondack
1956 — World Citizenship Paper
1957 — Paper Arts-Crafts Added
1958 — Letter To Campers
1958 — Registration Confirmation Letter
1959 — Camp Paper – Dick Gilbert Inspired Baseball Game
1959 — Woodman Memo – Disband Unirondack? p1, p2, p3
1959 — Unirondack Brochure – Rev. Richard Woodman, Manager
1959 — “The Unirondacker” Newspaper
1959 — Unirondack Safety Rules – Rev. Richard Woodman, Manager

1960’s

*1960s NOTES: “ASSEMBLY HALL” or RECREATION BUILDING” refers to GILMAN, which was originally built in 1967 as an assembly hall (called the GILMAN REC HALL) and later transformed into a dining hall & kitchen after the old lodge burned down (which housed the original dining hall & kitchen).
1960 — The Unirondack Commission
1961 — Recreation Building Proposal from Dick Fitts, Commission Chairman
1961 — List of Maintenance Priorities
1962 — Mailing List Recommendations from Dick Fitts
1962 — Staff Hiring Recommendations from Dick Fitts p1, p2
1962 — Francis Rodio – Unirondack Manager’s Report, p1, p2
1962 — Carncross – Plans For Assembly Building
1962 — Summer Maintenance Completed, p1, p2
1963 — Misc. Unirondack Commission Notes from Dick Fitts
1963 — Gilman Letter – Assembly Hall Approved
1963 — Carncross – Assembly Hall Estimates
1963 — Management Suggestions
1964 — Assembly Building – Planning Meeting Minutes
1964 — Letter From Universalists Giving Go Ahead To Building
1966 — Certificate of Incorporation, p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, p6
1966 — Letter Regarding New Well from Frank Zigumnd
1967 — Unirondack Deed, p1, p2
1967 — Unirondack Brochure – Frank Zigmund, Director
1967 — Letter Announcing Creation Of Unirondack Corporation
1969 — Unirondack Brochure – Kenneth Hennig, Director

1970’s

*1970s & 1980s NOTES: The old lodge burned down in 1976 and the new lodge was completed in 1980.
1970s — Growth & Renewal Weekends – Ray Nasemann, Facilitator
1971 — LRY Program Evaluation
1971 — Summer Schedule – Kenneth Hennig, Director
1972 — RE Conference Brochure – Joe Malkiewicz, Director
1973 — Summer Schedule – Joe Malkiewicz, Director
1974 — Brochure Cover – Joe Malkiewicz, Director
1974 — Unirondack Brochure – Joe Malkiewicz, Director p1, p2
1975 — Growth & Renewal Weekends – Ray Nasemann, Facilitator
1977 — Brochure Front – Joe Malkiewicz, Director
1977 — Brochure Back – Joe Malkiewicz, Director
1977 — Drawing of Unirondack by Julie Lewitsky
1977 — List Of Persons Connected To Camp, 1947 – 1977
1978 — Unirondack Brochure – Joe Malkiewicz, Director
1978 — Unirondack Brochure – Joe Malkiewicz, Director
1978 — Photo Collage from Brochure

1990s

1993 — Founding Women Names

2000s

2002 — Map of camp / Survey for new septic system
2003 — Building & Grounds Report – Devin Hollands

Undated

Back Postcard
Booster Cards
Brochure By Woodman With Zeke Drawing
Brochure Details By Woodman
Buying Items For Camp
Cost Of Building Memorials
Dick Woodman Letter Asking For Contributions
Estimate For Assembly Building
Flyer
Front Postcard
Historic Names Building Dedications
Housing For 76 Campers Foreign Staff
Leining Asked NCR Contribution ‘Patterson’
Letter About Donations
Map of Unirondack Property, p1, p2, p3, p4
Old Unirondack Stationary
Responsibility Breakdown RE Board Director
Trust Fund from the NYS Convention of Universalists
List of Unirondack Camp Directors

Click here for Devin Holland’s notes on the documents.